|Publications of Allen Forte
- Contemporary Tone-Structures, Columbia, 1955.
- Tonal Harmony in Concept and Practice, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1962. Third Edition, 1979.
- The Structure of Atonal Music, Yale University Press, 1973
- The Harmonic Organization of The Rite of Spring, Yale University Press, 1978. Paperback edition to be issued Fall, 2005 (ISBN 0-300-10537-1).
- Introduction to Schenkerian Analysis (with Steven E. Gilbert), W. W. Norton & Co., 1982.
Click the thumbnails below for more information.
The American Popular Ballad of the Golden Era, 1924-1950.
Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1995.
The Atonal Music of Anton Webern.
New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1998.
||Listening to Classic American Popular Songs
New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2001
With a companion CD featuring Richard Lalli and Gary Chapman
Structural Origin of Exact Tempi in the Brahms-Haydn Variations,"
The Music Review, May, 1957.
Conception of Musical Structure," Journal of Music Theory,
Theory of Set-Complexes for Music," Journal of Music Theory,
Winter, 1964. "A Program for the Analytical Reading of Scores,"
Journal of Music Theory, Winter, 1966.
and Non-Sets in Schoenberg's Atonal Music," Perspectives
of New Music, Fall-Winter, 1972.
Creative Evolution: The Path to Atonality," The Musical Quarterly,
Vol. LXIV, No. 2, April, 1978: 133-176.
of Rhythm in Webern's Atonal Music," Music Theory Spectrum
Chromaticism in Mozart's Music," The Musical Quarterly, October,
Motives in the Adagietto of Mahler's Fifth Symphony," 19th
Century Music, Vol. VIII, No. 2, Fall, 1984.
Experimental Music and Music of the Early Twentieth Century,"
19th Century Music, Volume X, number 3 (1987): 209-28.
Mask of Tonality: Alban Berg's Symphonic Epilogue to Wozzeck,"
In Robert P. Morgan and David Gable, eds., Alban Berg: Analytical
and Historical Perspectives, Oxford University Press, 1991: 151-200.
Approaches to the Linear Analysis of Music," Journal of the
American Musicological Society, Vol. XLI, No. 2, Summer, 1988:
315-348. "Pitch-Class Set Genera and the Origin of Modern
Harmonic Species," Journal of Music Theory, Vol. 32, No.
2, Fall, 1988, 187-270.
and the Octatonic." Music Analysis, Vol. 10:1-2, 1991, 125-169.
of Linearity in Schoenberg's Atonal Music: A Study of the Opus
15 Song Cycle." Journal of Music Theory, Vol. 36/2, Fall
of Melody: Line and Design in the Songs of Cole Porter" The
Musical Quarterly, Vol. 77, No. 4, Winter, 1993, 607-647.
Golden Thread: Octatonic Music in Webern's Early Songs."
In Kathryn Bailey, Webern Studies. Cambridge University Press,
upon the Gershwin - Berg Connection." The Musical Quarterly,
Summer 1999, Vol. 83, No. 2: 150-168.
to Papers read at New England Conference of Music Theorists (NECMT
2000) published in the online journal, Music
Number 6.3, August, 2000.
- Olivier Messiaen as Serialist, Music Analysis 21/1, March 2002
- Introduction to a Theory of Intervallic Harmony. Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Music Theory. Tallinn, Estonia, April 2003
- Messiaens Chords to be published in Messiaen: Music, Art and Literature, London: Ashgate Press, Spring 2005.
- Messiaens Mysterious Birds in a collection to be published by Oxford University Presses, 2005.
- Two Chapters from my book, The American Popular Ballad, translated into Italian to be published in Italy.